Mindy and Guy Raz taught us all about ants in this episode. We learned that every ant in the colony has a specific job. Some forage or search for food to bring back, some build the nest and some, like the Colobopsis Explodens, are in charge of protection.
Set up your very own Ant Restaur-ANT to get up close and personal with some local foraging ants. Use a magnifying glass to truly get wowed by these insects.
- 6-8 items from the pantry and/or fridge that you think ants might enjoy (e.g.: crackers, chips, honey, cut fruit, ketchup, etc.)
- Magnifying glass (optional)
- Select your food items and record them below.
- Make a prediction about which item you think will be the favorite on the menu.
- Place a small amount of each item on a plate, place the assembled plate in a shady location and wait for customers.
- Check on things throughout the day and observe which items the ants like best.