In Do You See What I Hear?, Mindy and Guy Raz discuss how we experience our senses. Individuals with a rare brain condition named synesthesia are able to experience a mingling of the senses- wowzers!
Spice painting is a fun way to stimulate both sight and smell. Co-mingling these two senses in a craft is as close to Synesthesia as most of us will ever get. So try this simple, homemade, spiced paint recipe for some extra-sensory messy fun.
- Pour about half a cup of paint to each cup.
- Pick a spice and add about a teaspoon of that spice to one cup of paint.
- Mix well to combine. As far as smell, a little spice goes a long way but adding more spice may make the color deeper.
- Repeat with the remaining spices and remaining paint cups, keeping each scent isolated. In the end you should have four spiced-paints to work with.
- Voila, it’s painting time!
- Note: These spices can cause staining so protect any work surfaces or clothing you would be concerned about. This is a great outdoor, messy art project!